This flashcard deck was purpose-built for Nursing Students (or nurses transitioning roles) to master the flow and sequence of a head-to-toe patient assessment and to retain details of expected and abnormal results. If you are wondering which flashcard deck to buy first, or if you are just starting school, this is a great flashcard deck to begin with. It contains a variety of nursing basics that you will need through school and your nursing career.
This deck is for you if you are:
- An RN or PN Nursing Student
- A new nurse (ESPECIALLY a nurse new to Medical Surgical Nursing) who wants a refresher
HEAD TO TOE ASSESSMENT
Part One of this flashcard deck is a step by step procedure, helping you memorize the flow of a complete head-to-toe assessment. It addresses these components:
- General Survey
- Vital Signs & Pain Assessment
- Head, Face, Neck, Lymphatics
- Eyes, Ears, Nose, Mouth/Throat
- Posterior and Anterior Chest
- Neck Vessels and Heart
- Musculoskeletal System
- Nervous System
HEALTH ASSESSMENT REFERENCE GUIDE
Part Two of this flashcard deck serves as a reference guide to the health assessment procedure in Part One and goes in-depth on normal ranges, expected/unexpected results, and detailed assessment techniques. Cross-references are called out on cards in Part One with an icon and card number, so you can quickly reference the more in-depth facts in Part Two, which addresses these components:
- Levels of Consciousness
- Vital Signs: Expected Ranges
- Pain Scales
- Skin Color, Edema, Lesions
- Cranial Nerves: Function and Assessment
- Lung Percussion and Auscultation: Expected sounds
- Bowel Sounds
- Spinal Curvatures
- Joint Movements
- Nervous Tests: Expected Findings
HEALTH ASSESSMENT FLASHCARD DECK INCLUDES
- Sixty-two (62) 3” x 5” flashcards plus a cover card and two section divider cards. Each card is durable, with a glossy front and a matte back for easy note-taking.
Key Facts: The most important information is now called out with icons.
Hints: Memory devices are now called out with icons. Look for the Cool Chicken!
- Just the important information is included.
HEALTH ASSESSMENT FLASHCARD DETAILS
Like all of Level Up RN’s resources, this flashcard deck is intended to help you synthesize the most important information you need to know about conducting health assessments. It is not simply another huge book with an overwhelming amount of information! Below we’ve listed more specifics about this exciting new resource.
- Key steps in performing comprehensive head-to-toe patient assessment
- WHAT to assess
- HOW to assess each component
- Specific resources include the following:
- Levels of Consciousness definitions, including the Glasgow Coma Scale
- Expected vital sign ranges (temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure)
- Assessment of orthostatic hypotension
- Pain scales: CRIES, FLACC, FACES, Oucher, Numeric scale
- Skin: Color assessment and assessment of edema
- Identification of primary and secondary lesions
- Cranial nerve functions and testing
- Head/neck lymph node locations
- Lung auscultation and evaluation of breath sounds
- Lung percussion and expected sounds
- Cardiovascular assessment, including auscultation of heart sounds and assessment of JVD
- Assessment and evaluation of bowel sounds
- Normal curvatures of the spine
- Joint movements
- Peripheral pulse locations
- Nervous system tests, including the Romberg test, stereognosis, graphesthesia, and evaluation of reflexes
- Revised and updated 7/30/2020.
- This deck does not go into detail on the pathophysiology that underlies abnormal Health Assessment findings. Please see our Medical Surgical Nursing deck for details on health disorders and nursing care of those disorders.
- This deck is mostly focused on Adult Health Assessment. However, pediatric considerations are included for many of the exam components.
- This deck does describe how to perform assessment techniques, but hands-on practice is absolutely necessary to fully develop your assessment skills.