Maternity Nursing - Flashcards
The Maternity Nursing Flashcards were designed to help both nurses and nursing students learn and retain information about maternal nursing from preconception to newborn/postpartum care. The flashcards are both a clear, complete study tool and a helpful reference for practicing RNs, PNs, and other medical professionals. These flashcards cover five sections including:
- Labor & Delivery (L&D)
- Newborn Assessment/Care
- Postpartum Assessment/Care
- One hundred thirty-four (134) durable 3” x 5” flashcards. Each section has a cover card, and an index is also provided.
- A glossy front and a matte back for easy note-taking.
- Six illustrations to help you visualize and understand key concepts.
- Important terms or facts called out in bolded, red text.
- Helpful, silly hints highlighted with a Cool Chicken icon.
- Key nursing considerations indicated with a magnifying glass.
- References to our other flashcards (including Pharmacology), so you can quickly and easily look up associated information.
- Contraception (behavioral, barrier, hormonal methods)
- Signs of pregnancy and physiological changes during pregnancy.
- Prenatal care visits and labs/diagnostic testing during pregnancy
- Maternal teaching, including: nutrition, warning signs, unpleasant side effects.
- Fetal assessment methods, including: ultrasound, CVS, amniocentesis, non-stress test, biophysical profile, CST).
- Pregnancy complications, including: miscarriage, molar pregnancy, ectopic pregnancy, infections, hyperemesis, gestational diabetes, cervical insufficiency, placenta previa, abruptio placenta, gestational hypertension, amniotic fluid abnormalities.
Labor and Delivery (L&D)
- Physiologic changes during pregnancy.
- True vs. false labor.
- Factors affecting labor.
- Stages of labor.
- Pain management during labor.
- FHR monitoring, abnormal findings, interventions.
- Labor induction and augmentation.
- Labor and Delivery complications, including: premature rupture of membranes, preterm labor, labor dystocia, prolapsed umbilical cord, cesarean section, uterine rupture, amniotic fluid embolism, precipitous labor.
- Fundal and lochia assessment.
- Perineum care and breast care.
- Postpartum immunizations.
- Maternal role attainment, parental-infant bonding, sibling adaptation.
- Cardiovascular changes after birth.
- Postpartum complications, including: deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, postpartum hemorrhage, endometritis, mastitis, mental health concerns
- Apgar scoring and New Ballard Scale
- Vital signs and thermoregulation
- Measurements, physical assessment of newborn, newborn reflexes.
- Heel stick, lab testing, medications administered after birth
- Newborn complications, including: neonatal substance withdrawal, hypoglycemia, macrosomic infants, sepsis neonatorum, necrotizing enterocolitis, hyperbilirubinemia, preterm infants, postmature infants, meconium aspiration syndrome.
- Discharge teaching, including: infant nutrition, breastfeeding, breastmilk storage, formula feeding, circumcision, bathing, cord care, crib and sleep safety, car seat safety.
Which Nursing Exams Do These Flashcards Help With?
- NCLEX and comprehensive predictor exams (e.g. ATI, HESI)
- Nursing class exams that cover maternity or maternal newborn nursing material
Who will level up their learning using these flashcards?
- Nursing students
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Patient Care Assistant (PCA)
Shipping & Returns
Flat rate shipping is $7.50 on all orders and FREE for orders over $100. To be eligible for a return, your item must be returned within 30 days, unused, and in the original shrink-wrapped packaging. Bulk discounted orders are not eligible for returns. See full return policy for details.
- flash cards
Exactly What I Needed
These cards are amazing and cover everything my teacher does in class! These along with the videos have been the best source material for OB that I’ve seen so far!!
Awesome nursing flashcards!
I like the breakdown of the Maternity flashcards and that they are color coded. I can take a colored stack and study each section. And I can review them over and over, instead of carrying a heavy textbook. The stages of pregnancy, the gestational ages, what to expect, the various test & procedures are all explained in detail. The different possible complications of pregnancy and how they are treated are also explained well. These flashcards are great! I highly recommend them to nursing students and licensed nurses who want to review and brush up on their knowledge of maternity nursing.
I am an RN with experience in critical care and the ED. I recently accepted a position in OB/ Maternity. I was anxious about how little I knew on the subject so I watched the YouTube videos and read the flashcards. They were so helpful and I didn’t feel unprepared for the start of orientation at all! Everyone is impressed with my knowledge base especially considering I didn’t have any OB experience.
Helped sooo much
I typically only watch the videos, but with maternity being my weak point I decided to get the flashcards. Definitely glad I did. The illustrations on the flashcards make a lot more sense than what is in my textbook, and they information is to the point. I also love that I can just take out the flashcards relevant to what we are currently going over to study on the go. You will not be upset you bought these. Some of my classmates saw mine, and they have now ordered their own sets.
It has been an awesome experience and these flashcards have been extremely helpful and enable me to understand the material better, thank you so much!