Principles of Pediatric Nursing
This section lays the groundwork for being able to assess and care for pediatric patients. Topics in this section include:
- Families: Types of Families, Family Theories, Types of Parenting.
- Theories of Cognitive and Psychosocial Development.
- Child Safety: Car Seats, Injury Prevention (e.g., drowning, burns, poisoning, choking).
- Child Abuse: Types of Abuse, Risk Factors, Signs of Abuse, Reporting Requirements.
- Key Components of a Pediatric Assessment.
- Expected Pediatric Vital Signs
- Pediatric Pain Scales.
- Vaccinations: Pediatric Schedules, Contraindications, and Administration.
- Informed Consent and Assent.
- Safe Medication Administration.
- Hospitalization of Children, Concept of Illness/Death by Age.
Normal Growth and Development
This section provides expected assessment findings for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, school age children, and adolescents. Each age range includes expected findings for:
- Physical Growth and Development (e.g., height/weight, head circumference, fontanelles, dentition, reflexes, gross and fine motor skills).
- Cognitive Development (e.g., language, normal behaviors).
- Psychosocial Development (e.g., age appropriate play).
Parental Guidance is also provided for each age range, and includes important teaching for: nutrition, sleep safety, dental health, vaccinations, and more.
Alterations in Health
This section provides information on the most important health disorders that affect pediatric patients, broken into 10 body systems. Information provided for each disorder includes: a definition of the disorder, brief pathophysiology, risk factors, signs/symptoms, diagnostics/labs, treatment, nursing care, and family teaching. Specific disorders contained in the deck are below:
- Respiratory: Otitis Externa, Otitis Media, Acute Streptococcal Pharyngitis (Strep Throat), Tonsillitis, Epiglottitis, Acute Laryngotracheobronchitis, Bronchiolitis (RSV), Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Influenza, Pneumonia, Asthma, Cystic Fibrosis, Apnea of Prematurity, Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD), Respiratory Distress Syndrome (RDS), Respiratory Distress/Failure, Brief Resolved Unexplained Event (BRUE) or Apparent Life Threatening Event (ALTE), Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- Cardiovascular: Congenital Heart Defects, Heart Failure, Hypoxemia, Infective Endocarditis, Rheumatic Fever, Kawasaki Disease, Iron-Deficient Anemia, Sickle Cell Anemia, Thalassemia, Hemophilia, Epistaxis.
- Nervous: Conjunctivitis, Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP), Visual Impairments, Hearing Impairments, Seizures, Head Injury, Meningitis, Reye’s Syndrome, Lead Poisoning, Spina Bifida, Cerebral Palsy, Trisomy 21 (Down’s Syndrome), Fragile X, Duchenne’s Muscular Dystrophy, ADHD, Autism.
- Musculoskeletal: Positional Plagiocephaly, Scoliosis, Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip, Legg-Calve Perthes, Clubfoot, Osteogenesis Imperfecta, Rickets, Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, Osteomyelitis, Fractures.
- Endocrine: Precocious Puberty, Growth Hormone Deficiency, Growth Hormone Excess, Diabetes Insipidus (DI), Syndrome of Inappropriate ADH (SIADH), Diabetes Mellitus, Pheochromocytoma.
- Gastrointestinal: Cleft Lip/Palate, Esophageal Atresia & Tracheoesophageal Fistula, Gastroesophageal Reflux (GER), Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis, Meckel’s Diverticulum, Intussusception, Short Bowel Syndrome, Celiac Disease, Omphalocele/Gastroschisis, Appendicitis, Hirschsprung’s Disease, Failure to Thrive (FTT), Colic, Acute Infectious Diarrhea, Enterobiasis (Pinworm).
- Renal: Nephrotic Syndrome, Acute Glomerulonephritis (AGN), Acute Kidney Injury, Chronic Renal Failure, Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome, Vesicoureteral Reflux, Exstrophy of the Bladder, Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), Hypospadias and Epispadias.
- Reproductive: Gynecomastia, Ambiguous Genitalia, Cryptorchidism, Testicular Torsion, Epididymitis, Varicocele, Phimosis.
- Immune: Chickenpox (Varicella), Fifth’s Disease, Roseola, Measles (Rubeola), Rubella (German Measles), Mumps (Paramyxovirus), Hand Foot and Mouth Disease, Mononucleosis, Retinoblastoma, Neuroblastoma, Wilm’s Tumor, Testicular Cancer, Osteosarcoma, Leukemia, Lymphoma.
- Integumentary: Mongolian Spots, Cradle Cap, Thrush/Candidiasis, Impetigo, Acne, Diaper Dermatitis, Atopic Dermatitis, Dermatophytosis, Bites & Stings, Scabies, Lice, Lyme Disease, Burns.