Pediatric Nursing - Flashcards
The Pediatric Nursing Flashcards were designed to help both nurses and nursing students learn and retain information about caring for pediatric patients. The flashcards are both a clear, complete study tool and a helpful reference for practicing RNs, PNs, and other medical professionals. These flashcards will help you learn:
- Principles of Pediatric Nursing
- Normal Growth and Development
- Alterations in Health
- Two hundred seventeen (217) 3” x 5” flashcards. Each section has a cover card, and an index is also provided. Our flashcards are durable, with a glossy front and a matte back for easy note-taking.
- Important terms or facts called out in bolded, red text.
- Helpful, silly hints highlighted with a Cool Chicken icon.
- Key nursing considerations indicated with a magnifying glass.
- References to cards in our other flashcards (including Pharmacology), so you can quickly and easily look up associated information.
Principles of Pediatric Nursing
This section lays the groundwork for being able to assess and care for pediatric patients. Topics in this section include:
- Families: Types of Families, Family Theories, Types of Parenting.
- Theories of Cognitive and Psychosocial Development.
- Child Safety: Car Seats, Injury Prevention (e.g., drowning, burns, poisoning, choking).
- Child Abuse: Types of Abuse, Risk Factors, Signs of Abuse, Reporting Requirements.
- Key Components of a Pediatric Assessment.
- Expected Pediatric Vital Signs
- Pediatric Pain Scales.
- Vaccinations: Pediatric Schedules, Contraindications, and Administration.
- Informed Consent and Assent.
- Safe Medication Administration.
- Hospitalization of Children, Concept of Illness/Death by Age.
Normal Growth and Development
This section provides expected assessment findings for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, school age children, and adolescents. Each age range includes expected findings for:
- Physical Growth and Development (e.g., height/weight, head circumference, fontanelles, dentition, reflexes, gross and fine motor skills).
- Cognitive Development (e.g., language, normal behaviors).
- Psychosocial Development (e.g., age appropriate play).
Parental Guidance is also provided for each age range, and includes important teaching for: nutrition, sleep safety, dental health, vaccinations, and more.
Alterations in Health
This section provides information on the most important health disorders that affect pediatric patients, broken into 10 body systems. Information provided for each disorder includes: a definition of the disorder, brief pathophysiology, risk factors, signs/symptoms, diagnostics/labs, treatment, nursing care, and family teaching. Specific disorders contained in the flashcards are below:
- Respiratory: Otitis Externa, Otitis Media, Acute Streptococcal Pharyngitis (Strep Throat), Tonsillitis, Epiglottitis, Acute Laryngotracheobronchitis, Bronchiolitis (RSV), Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Influenza, Pneumonia, Asthma, Cystic Fibrosis, Apnea of Prematurity, Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD), Respiratory Distress Syndrome (RDS), Respiratory Distress/Failure, Brief Resolved Unexplained Event (BRUE) or Apparent Life Threatening Event (ALTE), Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- Cardiovascular: Congenital Heart Defects, Heart Failure, Hypoxemia, Infective Endocarditis, Rheumatic Fever, Kawasaki Disease, Iron-Deficient Anemia, Sickle Cell Anemia, Thalassemia, Hemophilia, Epistaxis.
- Nervous: Conjunctivitis, Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP), Visual Impairments, Hearing Impairments, Seizures, Head Injury, Meningitis, Reye’s Syndrome, Lead Poisoning, Spina Bifida, Cerebral Palsy, Trisomy 21 (Down’s Syndrome), Fragile X, Duchenne’s Muscular Dystrophy, ADHD, Autism.
- Musculoskeletal: Positional Plagiocephaly, Scoliosis, Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip, Legg-Calve Perthes, Clubfoot, Osteogenesis Imperfecta, Rickets, Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, Osteomyelitis, Fractures.
- Endocrine: Precocious Puberty, Growth Hormone Deficiency, Growth Hormone Excess, Diabetes Insipidus (DI), Syndrome of Inappropriate ADH (SIADH), Diabetes Mellitus, Pheochromocytoma.
- Gastrointestinal: Cleft Lip/Palate, Esophageal Atresia & Tracheoesophageal Fistula, Gastroesophageal Reflux (GER), Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis, Meckel’s Diverticulum, Intussusception, Short Bowel Syndrome, Celiac Disease, Omphalocele/Gastroschisis, Appendicitis, Hirschsprung’s Disease, Failure to Thrive (FTT), Colic, Acute Infectious Diarrhea, Enterobiasis (Pinworm).
- Renal: Nephrotic Syndrome, Acute Glomerulonephritis (AGN), Acute Kidney Injury, Chronic Renal Failure, Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome, Vesicoureteral Reflux, Exstrophy of the Bladder, Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), Hypospadias and Epispadias.
- Reproductive: Gynecomastia, Ambiguous Genitalia, Cryptorchidism, Testicular Torsion, Epididymitis, Varicocele, Phimosis.
- Immune: Chickenpox (Varicella), Fifth’s Disease, Roseola, Measles (Rubeola), Rubella (German Measles), Mumps (Paramyxovirus), Hand Foot and Mouth Disease, Mononucleosis, Retinoblastoma, Neuroblastoma, Wilm’s Tumor, Testicular Cancer, Osteosarcoma, Leukemia, Lymphoma.
- Integumentary: Mongolian Spots, Cradle Cap, Thrush/Candidiasis, Impetigo, Acne, Diaper Dermatitis, Atopic Dermatitis, Dermatophytosis, Bites & Stings, Scabies, Lice, Lyme Disease, Burns.
Which Nursing Exams Do These Flashcards Help With?
- NCLEX and comprehensive predictor exams (e.g. ATI, HESI)
- Nursing class exams that cover pediatric nursing material
Who will level up their learning using These Flashcards?
- Nursing students
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Patient Care Assistant (PCA)
Shipping & Returns
Flat rate shipping is $7.50 on all orders and FREE for orders over $99. To be eligible for a return, your item must be returned within 30 days, unused, and in the original shrink-wrapped packaging. Bulk discounted orders are not eligible for returns. See full return policy for details.
- flash cards
I passed my first Peds Exam!
Before purchasing these cards I was so nervous for my first Peds Exam because I heard that it would be extremely hard. These flashcards broke everything down in a way I could remember the content, and I brought them everywhere with me. I scored a 95 on my exam!
Very helpful for exam review
I love these cards. I bought most of them so I could review the concepts without having to go back to my books. At the beginning of school, I was reading the books that the school suggested, but by the end, nothing would stick with me. Once I started using Level Up RN flashcards, I got better and better at memorizing the important information about the topics for diseases. So far I've been using them for my peds class and I'm getting As on all my exams, thanks to these flashcards. I would definitely recommend buying them, especially if you don't have time to read the books.
Pediatric and Maternity Flashcards
I love these cards! 100% recommended! These flashcards are the antidote to nursing school! I improved so much in my classes this semester and I even recommended them to professor, who found them very helpful as well. Plus of course my classmates!
I have nearly every set of these cards. I love them all, but these are saving me in Peds right now! Thank you so much Cathy!
These flashcards are what I have been looking for!
These flashcards provide us with the most important information for us to know! So far, everything I needed is here in these cards.