Lab Values & ABG Interpretation - Nursing Flashcards
The Level Up RN Lab Values & ABG Interpretation Flashcards were designed to help nursing students learn and retain the most important lab value ranges required to pass the ATI, HESI, and NCLEX exams and are also a helpful reference for practicing RNs, PNs, and other medical professionals. No more flipping through textbooks and/or looking up expected lab value ranges! These flashcards consolidate all the key lab values you need in one place and helps you to understand the significance of high and/or low lab values. Our flashcards will help you learn:
- Key lab panels
- Adult lab values
- Pediatric lab values
- ABG Interpretation
- Other important ranges
Level Up RN flashcards contain just the core information you need to know, without all the fluff. We also incorporate memory tools and tricks to make learning fun and effective. This helps you:
- Focus on the most important information.
- Save time and effort when studying.
- Retain the information more effectively.
Edition 3 of Level Up RN's Lab Values Flashcards takes our proven flashcards and adds even more. Now in a durable box with room for your fingers, section dividers, and the Level Up RN Learning System, the most important information you need is easier to use than ever.
Significant organizational and content changes were made to this edition. Lab panel information, pediatric lab values, and ABG interpretation were added. As part of this new organization, ordering of some lab values has changed. Updates were made to some of the electrolyte imbalance causes and symptoms, and a few lab value ranges were updated to be in line with current recommendations. Additional Cool Chicken hints were also added for some of the lab values.
- Complete Blood Count (CBC), CBC with Differential, Basic Metabolic Panel (BMP), Liver Function Panel, Complete Metabolic Panel (CMP), Lipid Panel, Thyroid Panel, Arterial Blood Gas (ABG)
Adult Lab Panels
- Electrolytes: Calcium (Ca), Chloride (Cl), Magnesium (Mg), Phosphorus (P), Potassium (K), Sodium (Na)
- Cardiac Labs: Creatinine Kinase (CK-MB), Troponin T, Troponin I, Myoglobin, Total Cholesterol, Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL), Triglycerides, High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL), Human B-type Natriuretic Peptides (hBNP)
- Hematologic Labs: Red Blood Cells (RBCs), White Blood Cells (WBCs), Platelets, Hemoglobin (Hgb), Hematocrit (Hct), Activated Partial Thromboplastin Time (aPTT), Prothrombin Time (PT), International Normalized Ratio (INR), D-Dimer.
- Gastrointestinal Labs: Aspartate Aminotransferase (AST), Alanine Aminotransferase (ALT), Amylase, Lipase, Bilirubin, Albumin, Prealbumin, Total Protein, Ammonia.
- Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR) and C-Reactive Protein (CRP)
- Renal Labs: Creatinine, Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN), Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR), Urine Specific Gravity, Urine Osmolality
- Serum Osmolality
- Thyroid Labs: Triiodothyronine (T3), Thyroxine (T4), Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).
- Blood Glucose: Expected Range, Hypoglycemia, Diabetes Criteria, Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA), Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar State.
- CD4+ T-Lymphocytes
- Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA)
- Medications: Digoxin, Lithium, Phenytoin, Theophylline
Pediatric Lab Panels
- Hematologic Labs: Red Blood Cells, Platelets, Hemoglobin, Hematocrit
- Blood Glucose: Hypoglycemia, Diabetic Ketoacidosis
- Bilirubin: Normal Levels, Levels that Require Intervention
- Lead: Normal Levels, Levels Requiring Chelation Therapy
- Sweat Chloride: Normal Levels, Levels Diagnostic for Cystic Fibrosis
- Acid-Base Balance: Chemical Buffers, Respiratory System, Renal System
- Obtaining an ABG Sample
- ABG Components: pH, PaO₂, PaCO₂, HCO₃, SaO₂
- ABG Interpretation Steps
- Respiratory Acidosis: Types (Uncompensated, Partially Compensated, Fully Compensated), Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- Respiratory Alkalosis: Types (Uncompensated, Partially Compensated, Fully Compensated), Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- Metabolic Acidosis: Types (Uncompensated, Partially Compensated, Fully Compensated), Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- Metabolic Alkalosis: Types (Uncompensated, Partially Compensated, Fully Compensated), Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
Other Important Ranges
- Hemodynamics: Central Venous Pressure, Pulmonary Artery Wedge Pressure (PAWP), Cardiac Output
- Left Ventricular Ejection Fraction (LVEF)
- Intracranial Pressure (ICP) and Intraocular Pressure (IOP)
- Urine Output
NOTE: Lab values vary slightly from one source to another. Therefore, your textbook or professor may have slightly different lab value ranges from the lab value ranges contained in these flashcards. Our cards are matte on back, so you can feel free to write in alternative ranges/values if necessary! On Nursing exams, if you are given a lab value that is out-of-range, it will typically be VERY out-of-range. So, slight differences in expected lab value ranges should not impact your ability to recognize out-of-range lab values on exams. All of our lab value ranges were cross-referenced against multiple nursing textbooks, .gov websites, and other peer-reviewed sources to bring you the most accurate and well-established ranges.For more detail, check out the searchable, interactive index of Lab Values & ABG Topics.
Which Nursing Exams Do These Flashcards Help With?
- ATI and HESI exams
- Nursing class exams
Who will level up their learning using These Flashcards?
- Nursing Students
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs)
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Respiratory Therapists (RTs)
- Laboratory Technicians
- Nutrition Services
Shipping & Returns
US Orders: ALL FLASHCARDS SHIP FREE! Otherwise, flat rate shipping is $7.50 and FREE for orders over $50.
To be eligible for a return, your item must be returned within 30 days, unused, and in the original shrink-wrapped packaging. Bulk discounted orders are not eligible for returns. See full return policy for details.