Nutrition Essentials - Nursing Flashcards
The Nutrition Essentials for Nursing Flashcards were designed to help both nurses and nursing students learn and retain the most important nutrition concepts. Nutrition plays a key role in patient wellness, and patient teaching regarding nutrition is a key part of every nurse’s job. These flashcards will help with understanding the basics of nutrition, along with key nutritional and lifestyle considerations for common health disorders. Nutrition Essentials for Nursing Flashcards is broken into two key sections:
- Foundations of Nutrition and Diet
- Nutrition for Nursing Practice
- Seventy-eight (78) durable 3” x 5” flashcards. A cover card and index is also provided.
- A glossy front and a matte back for easy note-taking.
- Important terms or facts called out in bolded, red text.
- Helpful, silly hints highlighted with a Cool Chicken icon.
- Key nursing considerations indicated with a magnifying glass.
- Check out the searchable Nutrition Essentials for Nursing Flashcards Index for a detailed list of topics
Nutrition Essentials Topics
Foundations of Nutrition and Diet
- Overview of Macronutrients and Micronutrients
- Protein Metabolism (anabolism, catabolism, nitrogen balance)
- Water Soluble Vitamins (B-complex vitamins, vitamin C)
- Fat Soluble Vitamins (Vitamins A, D, E, K)
- Major Minerals and Electrolytes (calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, potassium)
- Trace Minerals (iron, zinc, iodine, fluoride)
- Water (sensible/Insensible water loss, dehydration)
- Daily Caloric Requirements, Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Nutritional and Physical Activity Guidelines
- Weight Loss
- Vegetarian Diets
- Religious and Cultural Dietary Considerations
- Developmental Considerations: Pregnancy, infants, toddlers, school-age children, adolescents, older adults
Nutrition for Nursing Practice
- Components of a Nutritional Assessment
- Oral Diets (NPO, clear liquid, pureed, full liquid, soft/mechanical, dysphagia)
- Enteral and parenteral nutrition
- Food/Nutrient and Medication Interactions
- Protein Energy Malnutrition (PEM)
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Nutrition and Lifestyle Guidance for health disorders:
- Respiratory disorders: COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, TB
- Cardiovascular disorders: CAD, Hypertension, MI, Heart Failure
- Nervous System disorders: Neurologic Dysphagia, Migraine Headaches, Meniere’s Disease
- Musculoskeletal disorders: Osteoporosis, Osteomalacia, Gout
- Gastrointestinal disorders: Dysphagia, GERD, Hiatal Hernia, PUD, Gastritis, Nausea, Vomiting, Constipation, Diarrhea, Foodborne Illness, Celiac Disease, IBS, Diverticulitis, Ostomies, Cholecystitis, Cholelithiasis, Cirrhosis, Pancreatitis
- Bariatric Surgery
- Eating disorders: Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa
- Endocrine Disorders: Diabetes, Diabetes Insipidus, SIADH, Addison’s Disease, Cushing’s Syndrome, Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism
- Renal Disorders: Acute Kidney Injury, Chronic Kidney Injury, Nephrotic Syndrome, Glomerulonephritis, Urolithiasis
- Cancer: Prevention, Xerostomia, Taste Alterations, Stomatitis
Which Nursing Exams Do These Flashcards Help With?
- NCLEX and comprehensive predictor exams (e.g., ATI, HESI).
- Nursing class exams (e.g., Nutrition, Nursing Fundamentals, Medical Surgical Nursing, Pediatric Nursing, Maternity Nursing)
Who will level up their learning using these flashcards?
- Nursing students
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Patient Care Assistant (PCA)
- Nutrition services
Shipping & Returns
Flat rate shipping is $7.50 on all orders and FREE for orders over $99. To be eligible for a return, your item must be returned within 30 days, unused, and in the original shrink-wrapped packaging. Bulk discounted orders are not eligible for returns. See full return policy for details.
These flashcards are so helpful! There's so much information on them, and they are convenient! I’m buying more.
Level 3 on ATI
Awesome cards. Basically covers everything you need to know. As someone who read the school provided workbook and then got these cards, the cards were better in my opinion. The cards have exactly what information is important to know vs reading 16 chapters of the workbook. I was especially grateful they had the value ranges on them. Just ordered the success pack and pharmacology pack after scoring so well for nutrition. Love!
I had Cathy Parks flash cards a couple years when I was in school for my RN. Things didn’t work out for me at the school I was attending. I left and decided to get my LVN. I barely used them while in school however, I used them when I studied for my NCLEX. The flash cards and Cathy Parks videos helped me so that I passed my NCLEX with minimal questions. I decided to buy the updated version for when I start my RN program in the Fall. A a fresh start for a new beginning. Thank you so much, ColleenMariePhillips
Very helpful. Thank you
I love these cards and they are really helping me through this journey