Nutrition Essentials - Nursing Flashcards
The Level Up RN Nutrition Essentials for Nursing Flashcards were designed to help both nurses and nursing students learn and retain the most important nutrition concepts. Nutrition is a key component of many nursing school classes (e.g., Fundamentals, MedSurg, Pharmacology), and nursing school exams and the NCLEX frequently include nutrition-related questions.
In addition, nutrition plays a key role in patient wellness, and patient teaching regarding nutrition is a key part of every nurse’s job. Our flashcards will help with understanding the basics of nutrition, along with key nutritional and lifestyle considerations for common health disorders. Nutrition Essentials for Nursing Flashcards is broken into two key sections:
- Foundations of Nutrition and Diet
- Nutrition for Nursing Practice
Level Up RN flashcards contain just the core information you need to know, without all the fluff. We also incorporate memory tools and tricks to make learning fun and effective. This helps you:
- Focus on the most important information.
- Save time and effort when studying.
- Retain the information more effectively.
NUTRITION ESSENTIALS TOPICS
FOUNDATIONS OF NUTRITION AND DIET
- Overview of Macronutrients and Micronutrients
- Protein Metabolism (anabolism, catabolism, nitrogen balance)
- Water Soluble Vitamins (B-complex vitamins, vitamin C)
- Fat Soluble Vitamins (Vitamins A, D, E, K)
- Major Minerals and Electrolytes (calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, potassium)
- Trace Minerals (iron, zinc, iodine, fluoride)
- Water (sensible/Insensible water loss, dehydration)
- Daily Caloric Requirements, Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Nutritional and Physical Activity Guidelines
- Weight Loss
- Vegetarian Diets
- Religious and Cultural Dietary Considerations
- Developmental Considerations: Pregnancy, infants, toddlers, school-age children, adolescents, older adults
NUTRITION FOR NURSING PRACTICE
- Components of a Nutritional Assessment
- Oral Diets (NPO, clear liquid, pureed, full liquid, soft/mechanical, dysphagia)
- Enteral and parenteral nutrition
- Food/Nutrient and Medication Interactions
- Protein Energy Malnutrition (PEM)
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Nutrition and Lifestyle Guidance for health disorders:
- Respiratory disorders: COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, TB
- Cardiovascular disorders: CAD, Hypertension, MI, Heart Failure
- Nervous System disorders: Neurologic Dysphagia, Migraine Headaches, Meniere’s Disease
- Musculoskeletal disorders: Osteoporosis, Osteomalacia, Gout
- Gastrointestinal disorders: Dysphagia, GERD, Hiatal Hernia, PUD, Gastritis, Nausea, Vomiting, Constipation, Diarrhea, Foodborne Illness, Celiac Disease, IBS, Diverticulitis, Ostomies, Cholecystitis, Cholelithiasis, Cirrhosis, Pancreatitis
- Bariatric Surgery
- Eating disorders: Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa
- Endocrine Disorders: Diabetes, Diabetes Insipidus, SIADH, Addison’s Disease, Cushing’s Syndrome, Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism
- Renal Disorders: Acute Kidney Injury, Chronic Kidney Injury, Nephrotic Syndrome, Glomerulonephritis, Urolithiasis
- Cancer: Prevention, Xerostomia, Taste Alterations, Stomatitis
Which Nursing Exams Do These Flashcards Help With?
- ATI and HESI exams
- Nursing class exams
Who will level up their learning using These Flashcards?
- Nursing Students
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs)
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Patient Care Assistants (PCAs)
- Nutrition Services
Shipping & Returns
US Orders: ALL FLASHCARDS SHIP FREE! Otherwise, flat rate shipping is $7.50 and FREE for orders over $50.
To be eligible for a return, your item must be returned within 30 days, unused, and in the original shrink-wrapped packaging. Bulk discounted orders are not eligible for returns. See full return policy for details.