Pharmacology Basics and Safe Medication Administration - Nursing Flashcards
The Pharmacology Basics and Safe Medication Administration Flashcards allow nursing students to build a strong foundation for learning Pharmacology and performing safe medication administration. Topics include:
- How drug names work
- Medication regulation
- Best practices for safe medication administration
- IV therapy
- Blood transfusions
Please Note: These flashcards are intended to be used with our Pharmacology for Nursing Students Flashcards. It does not include specific medication information, but rather the fundamentals of medication administration.
- Thirty-seven (37) 3” x 5” flashcards plus a cover card. Each card is durable, with a glossy front and a matte back for easy note-taking.
- Key concepts highlighted in bold, red font.
Pharmacology Basics & Safe Medication Administration Flashcards Topics
- How drug names work (chemical, generic, brand).
- Medication regulation (US drug schedule, drug risk classification in pregnancy).
- Prescriptions (types, components).
- Telephone orders (best practices).
- Error-prone abbreviations.
- Best practices for safe medication administration.
- Pharmacokinetics (absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion).
- Therapeutic Index and Half-life of medications
- Agonists vs. Antagonists.
- Best practices for administering medications through different routes of administration (oral, NG/G-tube, sublingual/buccal, transdermal, inhalation therapy, optic, otic, intradermal, subcutaneous, intramuscular, intravenous).
- Preparing injections from an ampule and vial.
- Insulin administration and mixing insulins.
- IV therapy (IV insertion, care), and complications (phlebitis, infiltration, extravasation, catheter embolus, air embolus, thrombosis, fluid overload, infection).
- Blood transfusions (blood type compatibility, types of blood products, best practices for administering blood).
- Blood transfusion reactions (mild allergic, anaphylactic, febrile, septic, acute hemolytic, circulatory overload).
- Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) administration and nursing care.
- Specific medications. Actual medications are included in our Pharmacology flashcards. This product, Pharmacology Basics, provides important foundational information on safe medication administration and makes a good companion to our Pharmacology flashcards.
- Detailed step-by-step instructions for performing skills. These cards focus more on best practices and general information for safe medication administration.
Which Nursing Exams Do These Flashcards Help With?
- NCLEX and comprehensive predictor exams (e.g., ATI, HESI)
- Nursing class exams that cover pharmacology concepts and medication administration (e.g., Nursing Fundamentals, Pharmacology, Medical/Surgical Nursing)
Who will level up their learning using these flashcards?
- Nursing students
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Respiratory Therapy (RT)
- Pharmacy Tech
Shipping & Returns
Flat rate shipping is $7.50 on all orders and FREE for orders over $100. To be eligible for a return, your item must be returned within 30 days, unused, and in the original shrink-wrapped packaging. Bulk discounted orders are not eligible for returns. See full return policy for details.
So Thankful for Cathy!
I have found Cathy's videos and cards to be extremely helpful and they go hand-in-hand to fully grasp the concept. Everyone that I speak to in my nursing school is a huge admirer of Cathy and has said that her system helps them to both understand and remember nursing material.
I’ve only had the cards for a couple of weeks, and they have helped tremendously!
Pills! Pills! Pills!
Awesome resource to use on your Nursing Journey.
Worth every penny
They are cute, have memory tricks and are worth every penny ❤️ for nursing school. They are even labeled in categories which make it so much easier.
I am using it for my class, and I read some important details.